Wednesday, November 18, 2009

BPA

All this talk about BPA got me thinking it's time to toss (read: recycle) the old reusable plastic bottles we'd been using for the gym and at work/school.

But what about those expensive Sigg bottles I just purchased last summer before school? Were they lined in BPA? I'd heard that Sigg had BPA-free bottles, but had no idea if mine made the cut. Thankfully, TIME magazine has the answer: peer inside. If you have a shiny, coppery lining, it's not BPA free. If it's a pale, matte yellow, it's a keeper. Sigg claims that their old liners, with BPA, didn't leach the way plastic bottles did.

Read more about the controversy here.

As for us, we're switching to BPA-free stainless steel. In fact, I purchased ours through a charity started by my wonderful dentist and his family called One4Three. 100% of the proceeds go to providing clean water (through buiding wells and filtration systems) in Anitgua, Guatelmala and Gitwe, Rwanda. It takes the sting out of replacing those expensive Sigg bottles to do a little good in the world!

(If you would like to purchase a bottle, click here.)

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I ran to my bottles when the SIGG thing came out and stuck my head inside to see the color!!! Apparently the BPA is linked to male erectile disfunction, too....sigh.

    ReplyDelete